simple is good

on life, travel, food, and the little things that make us human

Thursday, November 27, 2008

day 2

I'll probably get over blogging about each individual day when I start getting busier and having to actually do my assignments so in the meantime I'll do it for all it's worth.

Day 2 was fairly interesting. Watching 2 surgeries in the afternoon made time pass super fast!

First up I got there and there was a cat with a sudden onset of hindlimb paralysis. NM asked me to do a neuro exam (again!) and I correctly diagnosed it as an aortic thromboembolism *yay!* but then got stumped when asked what the treatment was *heparin*

Another vet also let me see some of her interesting cases. Like a chow chow with bad hind area itch and wounds due to scratching itself. One eye was also huge while the other was tiny! So weird. And all this time, the owner had thought that the big eye was the "normal" one and the smaller eye the "abnormal" one when it was the other way around!

In the afternoon I watched a tibial fracture surgery and a cleft palate repair.

Tibial fracture surgery appeared to be a straightforward short oblique fracture. Turns out (after he opened it) that it was a reducible comminuted fracture (well lots of hairline cracks here and there) and so instead of a simple plate over the fracture he had to put cerclarge wires and an IM pin. So cool seeing it done in real life!

Cleft palate was another interesting case. It was recurring so he'd tried to repair it before but the tension was too great so it kept coming back. This time he wasn't as confident as it was a pretty tough case and there was a fair bit of bleeding and a few near panic attacks but he actually did well! It was another eye opener as I'd done an essay last sem on repairing cleft palates and so was telling them of all these "alternative methods" without actually being able to remember much detail so I wasn't very convincing so I've found my researched papers and maybe I'll show it to them tomorrow!

I've found that majority of the filos who work there were vets in the philippines, they'd gone through 6 years of vet school, graduated, found the options and pay really limited there and so decided to come here to earn more money but not really be able to do all they studied for. I can't imagine how frustrating it must be to have people less experienced that you as the "vet" and you as the "vet tech/nurse". I wonder if that makes them bitter towards me too cos the only reason why I can be a vet in singapore is because I studied in australia and not the philippines. I do hope they don't think I'm here to steal their jobs (cos I try to make myself useful by offering to do their jobs for them but it may seem as though I'm making them look lazy?) and just wanna learn and will be gone in a month afterall...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home