simple is good

on life, travel, food, and the little things that make us human

Sunday, March 30, 2008

Melbourne #2

The Easter weekend was pretty hectic. Plus I was sick so I was coughing and stuff during all of the below events. When I got back I found many other people sick as well so I'm hoping it wasn't me :S Worked on the easter sat and mon to supplement my income so that wasn't too tiring thankfully. That meant proper reflecting time during Good Friday and Easter Sunday :)
Ange's party saw us dressing up as emo's and taking many non-smiley photos. Which was fun I must say since we're all pretty non-emo-ish (except for ange maybe). Plenty more photos to be found on facebook.
The trip to melbourne was mainly for relaxing, since I'd obviously been over-exerting myself during the first 3 weeks of uni. Life seems to have not stopped since last year, going from uni to moving house to placements to america to melbourne to uni again.
This time, we did less touristy stuff since we'd done a fair bit last time and we only had 5 days together this time around.
There was plenty of eating: yumcha in chinatown, Palm restaurant for overpriced hawker food (but they had good and cheap roti prata, and a potentially good Indian buffet dinner), Horoki with gwen and her mum, Jz's cooking of expired-left-in-the-fridge-for-3-days veal stir fry, nice breakfast at Villa&Hut (this cool balinese type furniture shop with a hidden cafe up the back overlooking the mountains), and a last minute stop by Pancake Parlour to have dinner just before I flew off (I made a fuss that I didn't want to have Maccas as my last meal in melb with him).
Some sightseeing: Jz and I walked around the city all day, visited many bookshops (Borders is having a 20% off sale! I want my Essential Baking Book for my bday! *hint hint* You'll save money if you buy it now! Or maybe I'll just buy it for myself), I tagged along with Gwen and her mum on the free city tour bus and discovered parts of melb that I'd like to go see again (like the botanic gardens and art galleries... southbank area pretty much). The above picture shows the weather there most of the time- gloomy, cold, rainy. The only reason why I don't like melb so far.
These were the nice folks who let me tag along with them to Queen Victoria Markets (and marvelled with me at the yummy fresh food in the deli on sale there), and then on the city tour bus, and then to lunch at Horoki. Gwen's fallen in love with Melbourne and I must say that city probably suits her alot more than Sydney just because of the more relaxed feel to it, the little cafes in the alleys and all that...

And this is the reason why I even go to Melbourne in the first place :) Loved hanging out with him and talking through stuff and spending time with him. And being spoilt by him and having attention showered on me (cos I'm so attention deprived in syd hehe). Can't wait till you come back to visit Sydney!

So tomorrow spells the start of the 2nd half of this semester... well the whole 10++ weeks left of it. I don't like it when the mid-sem break is so early on cos that means no more breaks till the semester ends! But with God's grace I'm hoping to be able to give my best in all that I have to do... and hopefully I'll be able to choose to see all these things positively rather than a drain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home