simple is good

on life, travel, food, and the little things that make us human

Friday, November 28, 2008

day tree!

Gwenda said she likes reading my verbal diarrhoea on each day so for my sake and hers i shall press on! I shall put a few photos up just to break the words up. Be warned, they are kinda gross...

Today I did a few things (just cos I asked if I could)- catheterise, extracted a carnassial tooth (!)... and that's all the exciting things I think. I also saw a pyometra (means uterus filled with pus) removal... done by the lady who's gonna take over being my supervisor. She kinda went "oh my goodness" upon hearing that I was gonna be there for a month. Gotta keep working on that one.


Here's a dog that came in with a swollen eye and this black mass thing. Quite of those "so cool but so gross things"

And just to end off on a better note, here's tonton, the resident carpet dog!

So anyway doing the tooth extraction was pretty cool, but the story behind it isn't as cool. The other guy did 3 and I did one and thankfully didn't fracture it into too many fragments! Story goes that this dog (5 or 7 mths old) had a personality problem. It had bitten the maid and was play biting the owner's son but she was afraid it was going to get worse. So what does she do? Get all 4 canine/carnessial teeth removed. What the....??? When I first heard that I was like "but how in the world does that stop the dog from biting other people again??". The poor dog was in alot of pain after (imagine getting 4 teeth ripped out from your mouth and no local anaesthetic given after) and I felt quite bad :( The other guy gave it somemore sedative to make it go to sleep again and eventually gave it some pain relief too. There was a pain relief patch but that was gonna take awhile to start working.

Oh and another thing about owners wanting "quick fixes"- there was another dog that was in today that had its tail docked because "when he plays with the children and goes up and down the stairs his tail knocks into them and their parents are getting quite annoyed".

Some vets outrightly won't do debarking, tail docking, ear clipping, teeth & dewclaw removal because it's not the humane thing to do. But most vet clinics have the stance that "If we don't do it, they'll just go somewhere else to get it done and they might botch the job up, so we may as well do it and make sure it gets done right and under sterile conditions". In my practice atm there are 2 vets who won't and the rest do I think, or leave it to the technicians to do it. A consequence of vets putting their foot down and not agreeing to do these procedures is that the dog breeders themselves do it, and stuff it up, causing huge infections in those sites. According to one vet, unless the govt' org really makes it illegal and every vet across the country refuses to do these things, it's really hard to say no.

Just an aspect of vet to ponder about. Ok time to go chill out!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home