magic kingdom
So yesterday (sat, 5thJan) was spent at Magic Kingdom... it was a really nice place which made me fall in love with Disney shows all over again... I'm a sucker for the Disney princesses and their "Happily Ever Afters". One of the guys in the above picture has an annual pass and so he goes to the Disney worlds several times a month. He knows the worlds at the back of his hand and which rides are worth going for etc and so it was fantastic just following him the whole of yesterday :D
Today was my 2nd day of work and I met my mentor, let's call him Dr.D. I've been told he's a nice guy but expects alot out of his students... and I think that'll be true in less than a week or so. He said he'd be nice to be but after he realises I actually have very little knowledge he might change his mind >< Putting it simply, he's the type to not tolerate dumb/incompetant people and will let them know that they're dumb/incompetant.
Didn't get to do too much today cos I was just following him around the whole day.
-Did lots of chest auscultations and I heard a 2nd grade heart murmur. Of course, at that time I only said it was a "murmur" and not the "2nd grade" part.
- Restraining this agitated dog who scratched my arm pretty bad.. only superficial but it looked quite spectacular just now.
- Took radiographs of a dog who'd been bitten by a boxer around the dorsal area of the neck, and had paralysis and loss of sensation of its forelimbs but its hindlimbs were fine-- Dr.D thinks it might've been a compression fracture of the spinal cord. Either way it was sent to emergency care elsewhere.
- Also a dog with inappetance... took a radiograph and saw thickened, fluid filled loops of intestine...possibly hookworm related. Might see it tomorrow if it doesnt' get better tonight.
- Dog infested with fleas and it had scratched its rump so much it looked pretty bad-->flea allergy dermatitis
- Stuck my hand into the dog's rectum to feel it's enlarged anal sacs and prostate gland. The owner of the one with the enlarged prostate gland was quite upset as the only treatment available was castration but she wanted her pug for breeding.
- Noticed that some owners aren't very creative with their pet's names... a pug's name was Pudge and a Corgi's name Corky.
Am hoping to get to do more stuff tomorrow as I'm being paid but feel a bit redundant not actually handling any cases etc. I wonder how long the other nurses will tolerate that before they start thinking "gosh when is she gonna get her butt moving rather than just follow the doc everywhere??". Esp since they're so busy as well.
Met more collegues today and they all seem like nice people too... alot friendlier than the ones on my first day (well mainly the 3 ones I hadn't seen). Oh and I presented them with the Vetsoc calender today and it was mostly the guys who saw it but they all enjoyed it. Maybe they think aussies are weird for doing such things now... but atm it's locked in Dr.D's locker haha...
Ok sleep time if not won't be able to wake up tomorrow. Managed to get a lift to and from work so far but it's really day by day and I hate being a burden to people. I mean, the first time they won't say no but after a few times they might get annoyed. I must remember: make friends,not foes.I want a car to drive here!


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home